Monday 16 September 2013

Adventurer's Log #4: Miss S becomes the Cardigan Queen

“I’ve got this.  You’re a student.  I’m working.”

Do you have any idea how badly I have longed to be able to say that?  In fact, saying “longed” doesn’t even begin to describe it.  I have spent the last few years (and especially this last year), DREAMING about what it would be like to say those words to my friends.

Yesterday I finally got to say that.

And it felt INCREDIBLE J

I got my first paycheque on Friday, and the result was a shopping trip to visit my sister a few hours away in a city that has a mall (and a mall with stores in it).  I got tired of my one pair of dress pants that don’t fit well and my tops that are worn and stretched out.  So I bought some new clothes.

And it was incredibly exciting.

And I’m now the Cardigan Queen (or so says the closet full of cardigan sweaters I now have).

I’m not saying having money solves all of your problems.  I still stress out and am still trying to keep myself on a pretty strict budget so I can put a fair bit of money into savings.

But it still felt pretty darn good to go shopping J

To be honest, I’m just feeling pretty darn good in general.  You know all of those insecurities and overwhelming feelings I was talking about in my last post?  Well they aren’t all gone, but I am definitely feeling better.  Last week I really felt like I hit my groove in my classes.

I found a way to reach my English 10 boys.  I showed them a picture of Mr. Charming’s cat, the infamous Mr. M, and had them write a poem about it.  They loved it.  I discovered my English class is full of incredibly poetic students and there is nothing more satisfying than pointing out the depth of their work to them and watching the pride that fills their faces.

I am thoroughly enjoying the fact that I had to confiscate the world from one of my students today.  He brought a globe to class.  Apparently the weight of it was too much.

Today was a pretty exciting moment for me.  On Mondays I have a double block of History 12, so my grade 12s are stuck with me for the whole afternoon.  One girl walked into the classroom, sat down at the table, threw her hands into the air and stated “Double block of History!  Whoo-hoo!”

Yup.

My class garnered a “Whoo-hoo!”

:)

I'm tired. 

But I'm also rather happy.

I love teaching.  And now that I'm over the initial shock and stress of being in a new place and away from those I love, I feel like I can throw myself into this.  I love trying to think of ways to make 20th century history come alive.  I love helping my students discover that poetry is not as scary as it may seem. I love interacting with my students.

I love my job.

So here's to another week of being the quirky teacher with the vast selection of colourful cardigans!

2 comments:

  1. You rock Jess! Glad its going well for you and that you are loving your new job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeff! It has been a pretty awesome experience :)

      Delete